Online platform where university students can buy and sell their textbooks.
- Social Media handles: please click on the following icons
- Info/Website: www.breadlineafrica.org
- Name of Initiative: Opening Imagination. Enabling Futures
- Description of Initiative: We are currently seeking funding for 56 units this financial year – some of these can be seen for ECDs and Libraries:
Breadline Africa History
Breadline Africa is a non-profit organisation based in Cape Town and also registered with the UK Charities Commission. This international organisation was established in 1993 and has focused on poverty alleviation ever since. Originally, Breadline Africa recognised that a great deal of grassroots development had to take place as a part of South Africa’s nation-building process, and that government structures would not be in a position to provide all of the resources to facilitate this process. Attention was given to the needs of the community-based organisations and Breadline Africa raised and distributed in excess of R117-million to more than 320 organisations over 21 years.
Breadline Africa Today
More recently, Breadline Africa has focused its attention on infrastructure projects benefiting early childhood development (ECD – providing educational support to children between the ages of one and six years), and children and youth in literacy. Today, Breadline Africa is one of the biggest suppliers of converted shipping containers for poverty relief in South Africa and has delivered more than 350 containers to poverty-stricken communities across the country. The focus is clustered into three main areas - early childhood development (ECD), libraries and a range of similar container projects to uplift communities.
- Location initiatives active: in all 9 provinces – see here for details of the 350 units delivered to date: http://breadlineafrica.org/what-we-do/infrastructure/
- Any Partners On board: Formalised partnership with a literacy NPO called Room to Read. Working on developing partnerships with others and in the meantime work closely with Help2Read, Shine Literacy, Centre for Early Childhood Development (CECD)
- Number to contact you: 021 7090492