Everything you need to know about 5FM
WAYS TO LISTEN TO 5FM
1. ON YOUR RADIO:
Find the 5FM frequency the Frequency Finder along the left edge of this page
If your region isn't listed or if you're battling to get good signal:
Obviously 5FM would love to broadcast over the entire country, but as it stands, 5FM has the maximum number of transmitters legally allowed by ICASA. 5FM are an SABC Radio Station and thereby are allocated transmitters in certain areas only. These transmitters have a designated wattage strength which allows a specific footprint over a given area only. By law, we are not allowed to exceed this allocation. You can call ICASA explaining your needs and hopefully they can help you: 011 566 3000/3001.
2. USING YOUR BROWSER (computer)
The "Listen Live" feature streams 5FM live via any browser on your desktop computer, laptop.
3. USING YOUR Mobile
Use the following Mobile Listen Live for your Mobile phone on www.5fm.co.za
5. Audio Bouquet on TV
5FM is available on Channel 805 on the Audio Bouquet
WHAT SONG IS PLAYING?
- The bar at the top below the Live Show section of Website should assist you
- ASK THE DJ
Please give the DJ as much information about the song as possible. Take note of the time/date/show the song was played.The song title, artist, lyrics or genre will also help.
For a list of DJs and DJ contact details, go to the ‘On Air Personalities’ on the Footer Navigation under Shows.
- ASK 5FM ON FACEBOOK
- ASK 5FM ON TWITTER
A NOTE ABOUT RDS (Song info displayed on your car radio)
A number of radio stations use RDS (that's the info that comes up on your car radio that tells you what station you're on) to display the artist & track title of the song playing. TP (traffic announcements) is also being tested and should also be available as well.
This is a test phase only. NAB decided that those stations would be the guinea pigs for this particular project. And some of these stations are experiencing problems with the RS232 link between Main Control and the transmitter which Sentec are supposed to be sorting out, but they're not rushing around to fix it anytime soon. Therefore they probably won't have the system until it is officially rolled out to all the stations, including 5FM.
Once the test phase is over, NAB will send the report to ICASA and they will then decide if it's worthy or not. 5FM will only adopt this system once tried, tested and perfected
- GETTING INVOLVED
5FM's YoungBlood5 team gets involved by helping good causes. If you'd like to get involved, check out YoungBlood5:
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.
- PROMOTING YOUR CAUSE
If you would like a chance for your cause to be promoted on YoungBlood5, please e-mail email@example.com with all the details. Please note that 5FM does not sponsor events. We act as a media partner and promote them.
SUBMIT ORIGINAL MUSIC FOR PLAYLISTING
*AS FROM JANUARY 2015 5FM WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PHYSICAL SUBMISSIONS*
When submitting make sure you:
- Submit your track digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attach a 5MB MP3
- Include a download link for a WAV version
- All songs need to be radio edit- no swearing and preferably under 4 min.
- Include a short biography
- The mail must not exceed 6MB
- Register the song with SAMRO
- Artwork is essential to accompany your submission with the following requirements:
Due to the high volume of music submissions and 5FM's selection process, we cannot contact all the artists with feedback. If you have not heard from 5FM after six weeks, please consider your submission unsuccessful.
WHICH DJ/SHOW IS ON AIR?
Here's the full 5FM line-up: http://www.5fm.co.za/shows
Presented by Nick Archibald on Saturdays 10am - 2pm. The latest available charts can be found here.
General competition rules: The General Competition Rules are found on the Footer under Competitions.
If you've won a competition, please allow 4-6 weeks* for the delivery of your prize. It may take longer in some circumstances.
You can direct all competition enquiries to email@example.com
GIG & EVENTS
For Ts & Cs click* here
NEW TRACKS ON 5FM'S PLAYLIST
You can find new music on the 5FM playlist here.
5FM does not sponsor events. We act as a media partner and promote them. There is an opportunity to promote your cause on 5FM's YoungBlood5 platform For any YB5 queries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see all info pertaining to 5FM's Mentorship Programme and Open Days on Events page.
Please e-mail us with any issues you have with regards to on-air content: complaints@5FM.co.za
The SABC and its services are signatories to various Codes of Conduct related to its broadcasts. If you have a complaint, you can direct it to any of the following bodies:
1. Details on lodging a complaint about programming content that you believe does not comply with the provisions of the Code of Conduct of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa can be found at www.bccsa.co.za
2. Details on lodging a complaint about advertising that you believe does not comply with the provisions of the Code of Conduct of the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa can be found at www.asasa.org.za
3. Details on lodging a complaint about advertising that you believe does not comply with the provisions of the Code of Conduct of the Wireless Application Service Providers Association of South Africa can be found at www.waspa.co.za
You can send complaints on other SABC matters to:
Private Bag X1
Tel 011 714 3728
Fax 011 714 4508